Sunday, January 6, 2008

Why Do People Lie???

Who doesn't?... I remembered as a kid I used to lie. Well, most of the time. (hey! At least I admit it). Again, the question is who doesn't? I believe everyone in this world tell lies at least once in their life. Either you lie to your parents, your brothers, your sisters, your friends and most frequently you lie to yourself. As a kid we lie because we are afraid of punishment.

Why do we lie? I would say that people lie because they are afraid of the consequences of telling the truth. 'Truth hurts', some may say. But which one would you choose? Beautiful lies or hurting truth. If you choose 'beautiful lies' well nothing is this world is beautiful forever. And if you choose 'hurting truth', again nothing in this world is beautiful forever. Therefore, do expect to be hurt once in a while. After all truth doesn't hurt ALL the time. It depends on how you take it.

People say the older you get the wiser you are. Which I totally agree. As I moved on with life from kid to teenager, I realize that I lied too much. Especially to myself. So I decided to stop. I tried to tell truth nothing but whole truth. But I failed. This was when I discovered truth really hurts. Either it will hurt me or the other person. Then I realized that there will come a circumstances that we HAVE TO lie. I got this from the internet. They call it the advantages or more acceptable reasons for lying.

1)the truth can be very hurtful
2)helps avoid unnecessary conflict
3)helps maintain a sense of privacy

I would very much agree on this. Especially in 2 and 3.

I remembered once I tell the truth to one of my best friends. Guess what's the price that I have to pay for that. Our friendship!! Maybe I was too hard on her when telling the truth. Or maybe she is not ready for the truth. Anyway, we avoided each other for 8 months but thankfully we are now friends again. (How can you let go a 17 years old friendship just like that!!!)

Can we avoid lies? I believe not. There are 2 ways to look at it. For me it is 'ok' to lie if the results will make the world nicer place to live and make others happier. But what I dont agree is when the results of lying will hurt other people thus make the world not worth to live in.

So the choice is yours. You decide whether or not to tell the truth or lie. But if you ever come across people who lie to you, don't simply go crazy for that. Try to understand. Understand why they are lying to you. Try to understand their situation. Sometimes they might have reasons for that. But if they don't...then go ahead! Do what ever you want. Hehehehe!

0 comments: